Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Still SMILE(ing)

About 2 years ago, while shopping at Walgreen's , I started visiting with one of the assistant managers. At the time, she was seriously troubled with her son. He was violent, angry and had very limited ability to communicate.

Within a few minutes, I recognized many of the symptoms and challenges she was facing.
At the time, her only hope was medication. And her biggest obstacles was financial.
I told her about The wonderful developmental preschool my son attended, talked about occupational therapy, speech therapy, respite, and hab. that Alex received every week. All at no cost to our family. She could hardly believe this was possible. I gave her my SMILE card with this blogs URL.
Just last week I ran into this same mother, her son is now receiving all these Therapies right out of her home. She works all day and at night she gets to be a part of her son's life. She has found a new hope.
My heart was warmed by her story. If this blog has helped only that one Mother is is worth the time I have invested.
There are so many women out there who are still struggling without the resources they need for themselves and their children. It is my hope that we can make a small difference by being a beacon of hope.

No comments: